Home » Infrastructure » Windows » Using enterprise mgr and database on the same PC. help plz.
Using enterprise mgr and database on the same PC. help plz. [message #233506] Thu, 26 April 2007 07:39 Go to next message
kennym123
Hi.

I have enterprize mgr 9i (client) installed on my win XP pc for "administering" various oracle 9 databases on unix servers.
I can connect to them no problem.

However, I am totally new to oracle, I've been trying to get my head around it by checking out the databases I can access through enterprize mgr, but as they are all live, I can't really do anything for fear of destroying other ppls work Smile

That said, I have installed oracle 10g (Db) on my win XP PC, which went ok, and so I have oracle 10g (Db) installed and a database I created called "orclapril"

I have been able to access the database instance through the web browser that oracle very kindly set up for me at installation Smile

I'm just at a loss as to where to proceed from here...

Naturally, I want to be able to add tables to it, which I thought I'd be able to do through the db web browser... but it looks like I'll have to do that through sqlplus.. is that right?

Also I really want to have the oracle client installed on my win XP to be able to practice managing the database, but how do I connect to the database I have created on my PC?

I have tried navigator-add database to tree-.. but what host name, port number SID, net service name do I use?
(I have tried the SID I gave the database, and various permutations, but I keep on getting errors like "SID given in connect descriptor could not be resolved"..)

Apologies for this long question, but I've tried various searches for answers/pointers without much success.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: Using enterprise mgr and database on the same PC. help plz. [message #233552 is a reply to message #233506] Thu, 26 April 2007 10:09 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
You may add tables into any schema created in the newly created database using SQL*Plus. If you'd like to use a GUI tool, there's a free one. It is a product of the Oracle corp. and its name is SQL Developer. Download it from the Oracle Technology Network Download section.

I don't use OEM so I can't help you much about it; however, you might want to check the oracle_home\network\admin directory and open TNSNAMES.ORA file. In there, you should see alias to your database, port number, service name / SID. Perhaps this information will help you to connect to your database.
Previous Topic: Attach timestamp to filename
Next Topic: ODP.NET Silent Installation.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:19:55 CDT 2024