Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?)
Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?) [message #234939] Thu, 03 May 2007 09:13 Go to next message
vz86mj
Hi,

Suppose I have a report with only single labels and nothing else, and I have written a format trigger on this label to return false, so when I will run the report it will give me blank page, but what will be the byte of the output will it be 0 bytes? Is there any way we can get the output from report as 0 bytes so that if auto printer is attached then it should not print anything.

Please help me out from this.

Thanks and Regards,
Sreejit Nair

[Updated on: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:15]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?) [message #235030 is a reply to message #234939] Thu, 03 May 2007 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
That's simply absurd.

Why wouldn't you just take an empty paper out of a printer drawer?

Could you, please, explain why would you want to do that? Write an empty report ... create labels and return FALSE from a trigger ... perhaps add another purposeless calculation (which takes several minutes to finish) and also make it not to print.

I just can't imagine where's the point in doing this.
Re: Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?) [message #235116 is a reply to message #235030] Fri, 04 May 2007 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vz86mj
Hi,

I have given you just an example in my previous mail, suppose my orgainzation had some 15000 orders get process every day and for this if there are some 2000 orders are getting blank output due to the report which is returning a false for the frame and time taking and picking the blank outout out and back to drawer is not justified.

Anyway thanks for reply and I have found the solution too.

Regards,
Sreejit Nair
Re: Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?) [message #235154 is a reply to message #235116] Fri, 04 May 2007 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I'm glad you found the solution, but it would also be nice if you post it back here so that other people might benefit from it.
Re: Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?) [message #235162 is a reply to message #235116] Fri, 04 May 2007 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ab_trivedi
hi srijeet,
Please share the solution with us?
Ashu
Re: Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?) [message #235204 is a reply to message #235162] Fri, 04 May 2007 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vz86mj
Hi All-

There could be three condition of this issue:
1) Running report from oracle APPS11i.
2) Running Report from unix command.
3) Running from report builder runtime.

Solutions:
1)Running report from oracle APPS11i.

One option:
Use the shell script to run the report.Add some text in the report if you are getting it as blank (like "no data found" ) and in shell script check the output file for this text after report call. If the test "no data found", remove the output file and create the same file with using touch command, thus it will be 0 bytes file and no print will happen if auto printer is attached.

Second option:
Write a format trigger on outer frames and labels to return false to get blank output.
But still the output will be greater than 0 bytes as it only hides all the outer frames and labels. To avoid the print even when your output file is blank use the Option field of the executable section of the concurrent program where the report used as BLANKPAGES=NO.

2) Running Report from unix command.
In command line add BLANKPAGES=NO.

3) Running from report builder runtime.
Edit --> Preference --> runtime setting --> uncheck "Blank Pages"

Hope this solution will be useful.

Thanks and Regards,
Sreejit Nair

[Updated on: Fri, 04 May 2007 05:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Oracle Report Output size issue (need 0 bytes?) [message #235228 is a reply to message #235204] Fri, 04 May 2007 07:19 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Thank you very much for such a comprehensive explanation!
Previous Topic: Creating Report using the Procedure
Next Topic: How to configure Oracle Reports Server on AS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 04 18:40:40 CDT 2024