Home » Other » Community Hangout » Magic Money  () 1 Vote
Magic Money [message #235058] Thu, 03 May 2007 23:37 Go to next message
nmacdannald
Magic Money
By Neil MacDannald
The closer we are to the truth, the farther we are from believing it.
This is a story of choice, consequence and Non-linear time displacement. It is about a man with the opportunity to change his life, history, and the very sea of time. What would you do? How would you choose?
Our story starts with a man now entering his 60’s. His name is Owen. Owen is attending a retirement dinner that is at very special restaurant. The man retiring, Ted is a close friend to Owen.
This is no ordinary restaurant. This is where Owen meets his wife and the love of his life thirty years earlier.
Owen was newly hired and was at a retirement party all these years ago. A women that their group had been watching was slowly and silently nursing a drink. This group, of which Owen was the newest member, had seen many men walk up to her, talk for a few seconds, only to be turned away.
‘She is the most beautiful women I have ever seen’ Owen says quietly. ‘I can see why so many try to talk to her.’ ‘Well, if you think she is so beautiful then why don’t you talk to her?’ asks one of Owens new workmates. ‘Go ahead, I double dare you.’
‘Okay, I will’ says Owen, mostly out of embarrassment that someone had heard his remark. Being shy he would not have normally done anything like this. ‘I will go to the bathroom and talk to her on the way back.’ ‘Yeah, good luck’ says the guy that challenged Owen.
Owen has a very poor week… … Children call with their problems… … Owen starts wondering why his life is so difficult. Owen thinks of his regrets.
Owen starts down the long hallway toward the bathroom. Owen stumbles and starts to fall down. To his surprise everything stops. People stop moving, talking, even a plate that has fallen off a waiters tray is frozen in mid air. Silence fills the room. Owen is frightened. He is afraid to move. Owen starts to stand up and sees a man moving in his direction. This man is dressed entirely in white. This man moves toward Owen and says only four words ‘come speak with me.’
Owen steps forward still overwhelmed and bewildered. He looks back to see that he has stepped out of his body. He sees his body frozen like everything else.
Owen asks the man, dressed in white, ‘What is happening?’ The man in white, seeing Owen in fear tells him ‘don’t worry, everything will turn out okay.’
This man in white proceeds to explain what is happening. He tells Owen that he will be given a choice of changing what he is and how his life has turned out. Owen, still bewildered, asks ‘What do you mean?’ The man in white says, ‘You felt your life did not turn out like you expected. You feel your job, your life, everything that you are, everything that you have done, is insignificant and lacking in value. You have been thinking, in light of your close friend’s retirement, your life will continue without any of the great and exciting things that you thought would happen when imagining your life as a young man. You wish your life had turned out differently. You feel lost and without direction. You have lost your way in the dark forest of life. You wondered many times what your father meant when he said ‘I have nailed a note in the forest that contains everything one man can say to another; beware, the black dog is on your trail.’
Owen, at first, does not know what to say. Everything the man in white said is true. He wonders how this man knows. “How do you know about my father saying that?” “How do…” The man in white stops Owen and says “I am prepared to give you an opportunity to change how your life has been. Your can be rich beyond anything you thought of while young”. Still causes Owen says “How, what do you mean?”
The man in white says “remember when you were young, coming to this same place? You were in your early twenties and had just started work. You walked into the restroom and saw a bag that had the words, Owen this is for you, open me and use me well. You must not tell anyone or the contents will vanish. When you opened the bag you found $10,000.
At that time, when you first came here, you and your friends were at another man’s retirement. You had just started working and did not know the man that was retiring very well. After a few drinks, food, and some fun your group started talking about a beautiful lady sitting at the bar. Your group saw several men talk to her only to walk away rejected. Being the new guy they challenged you to try to talk to her.”
The man in white said “They laughed, knowing you would fail. You walked into the restroom to find the bag. You thought very hard about how you could use the money well as was instructed. No great plan came to mind, so you decided to take the bag and think later about how to use it well.” “I don’t understand how you know this?” said Owen. The man in white just said “I know and that is all that is important.” Owen, knowing the man was correct said “Please explain to me more about this.”
You went up to the lady and said “Hello, my name is Owen. What is your name? Immediately you saw that she was almost in tears. She started to say “Leave me alone” but when she turned to you she saw your reaction of compassion and kindness. She could tell you were not trying to trick her but instead were truly concerned.” So she told you her story. “My father died yesterday in France where he had lived. I loved my father very much and do not have the means to attend his funeral.” At this point she could no longer hold in her sorrow and tears. Her sorrow was so great you almost cried with her. “Does this sound about right?” said the man in white?” Owen only said “Please continue.”
You offered to accompany the lady to France using the money you found. You told her that you would take her and promised to conduct yourself as a gentleman with no other motives. You truly meant that and she could see it in your eyes. You did not know if that would be using the money wisely but you were so emotional you did not care. You went with her. It was a long stay and you got to know each other well. After returning you expected nothing from her. Just helping made you fell good because you have a good soul. She unexpectedly called you a few weeks later; you talked many times, you dated for a few years, got married, had children, and still love each other today very much. Is that pretty much your story?” asked the man in white. “Yes it is.” Owen said. “But what do you mean by changing the ocean of time?”
The man in white said “I can take bag of money you found many years ago, back about many, many years, and invest in startup companies like Standard Oil, IBM, Apple, Microsoft and other companies as soon as they offer their stock to the public. I can put this into a trust that you would own today. You would be rich beyond your wildest imagination.”

Owen thinks a second. Too late, time has changed….
Owen is rich, and sad. Owen has many problems. Owen has no one to trust or love. Owen finds himself at his huge mansion on Madison Ave. Sad and depressed at how he has lost his wife and family for money. Owen puts on his swimming suet and safely dives into his swimming pool, only to find himself continuing his fall as an older man.
Someone sees him hit the floor and says “Whoa, hey old buddy, are you alright?” Owen gets up looks around to see his life continue in the correct timeline and says “Yes, yes I am. I am very happy!”

Live large and be prosperous.
Siege the time NOW!
Now is the most precious time.
Now will never come again.
Love and enjoy your family!
Smile and have fun in the rain or the sun.
Re: Magic Money [message #235244 is a reply to message #235058] Fri, 04 May 2007 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dipali Vithalani
Nice Story.. Smile
Truly, Life is meaningless without family and love..
For what we are doing such hard work? Not just for money..

Live large and be prosperous.
Siege the time NOW!
Now is the most precious time.
Now will never come again.
Love and enjoy your family!
Smile and have fun in the rain or the sun.

So nice thoughts..
It's the life..
Re: Magic Money [message #240617 is a reply to message #235058] Fri, 25 May 2007 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cthulhu
I'd have failed dismally there. I'd have assumed the woman was a con artist telling a sob story to steal money from gullible men.
Re: Magic Money [message #242441 is a reply to message #240617] Sat, 02 June 2007 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nmacdannald
Well it is just a story so anyone can assume anything, no rules. Thanks for reading. I have more than 100 more.
Neil.
Re: Magic Money [message #242677 is a reply to message #242441] Mon, 04 June 2007 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harshad.gohil
Neil, at least once in a week you can post it...if admin dont have any issues.
Re: Magic Money [message #242701 is a reply to message #240617] Mon, 04 June 2007 13:52 Go to previous message
joy_division
Cthulhu wrote on Fri, 25 May 2007 06:53
I'd have failed dismally there. I'd have assumed the woman was a con artist telling a sob story to steal money from gullible men.

Maybe I have seen too many Star Trek episodes, but I though the woman's father was Owen himself. He got married many years earlier and wished to start a family. He also discovered time travel. The lure of time travel was too strong and he was seduced by the Dark Side to pursue these travels before his daughter was born. He traveled time for many years, then retired into the future in France whereupon he died. Now his daughter wishes to pay her respects.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2007 13:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Baja 1000, Ever tried it?
Next Topic: New proto-Oracle developer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:46:17 CDT 2024