Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Report not displaying certain characters
Report not displaying certain characters [message #245205] Fri, 15 June 2007 07:54 Go to next message
garyt
I've got a report that needs to display a list of names.Some of the names have characters like "." or "-" or "\", when I run the report it gives me the names without those characters.
Whats up ?
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245364 is a reply to message #245205] Sat, 16 June 2007 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
How does the query look like? Is there a REPLACE function involved? Did you create a formula column which does something with those values?
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245454 is a reply to message #245205] Sun, 17 June 2007 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garyt
I quite new to reports, what I did was create a report with a simple query like :
SELECT name
FROM persdata
WHERE name LIKE '%/%'
OR name LIKE '%\%'
OR name LIKE '%-%';
So that returns all the names with those characters in them, when I run the report though, it displays those names but without the specified characters.
I did not create a REPLACE function or a formula column.
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245570 is a reply to message #245454] Mon, 18 June 2007 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Ah! So what happens if you change the FONT you used to display those values?

For example, ARIAL font doesn't display Croatian characters so, in order to make them visible, I have to choose ARIAL CE (Central European).
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245612 is a reply to message #245205] Mon, 18 June 2007 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garyt
Ok, I've tried a few different fonts but it is still not displaying those characters.
Anything else I can try ?
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245631 is a reply to message #245612] Mon, 18 June 2007 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madhu_bala

Just try with Courier New font, may be it will work
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245641 is a reply to message #245205] Mon, 18 June 2007 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garyt
I tried with Courier New, did not work.
How do you change the font ? I went to 'Report Editor', then clicked on 'Paper Design', then selected the field displaying the names from the query, then selected Courier New from the list of fonts in the tool bar. Is that correct ?
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245661 is a reply to message #245641] Mon, 18 June 2007 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, that's the way to do it. But, obviously, it didn't solve your problem. Reading your question once again, I believe I was very wrong about the font you used.

Let me try again: this is (part of) a query you used:
SELECT name
FROM persdata
WHERE name LIKE '%/%';
In SQL*Plus, it does return valid values, such as
Little/foot
However, when you execute the same query in Reports Builder, you see it as
Littlefoot
Right, so far?

What would this query display in Reports Builder:
SELECT 'Little/foot' name FROM dual;
Do you see a slash sign or not?
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245669 is a reply to message #245205] Mon, 18 June 2007 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garyt
Quote:
Right, so far?

Correct

When I run the query you supplied in Reports Builder, the report displays the slash as follows : Little/foot
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245674 is a reply to message #245669] Mon, 18 June 2007 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
So it seems that report is OK.

Could you post (copy and paste) output from your SQL*Plus session (part of it) which displays the result of the
SELECT name
FROM persdata
WHERE name LIKE '%/%';
along with a screenshot (JPG) of the same query when executed in Reports Builder?

It's just the fact that I can't imagine what might be wrong here ...
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245691 is a reply to message #245674] Mon, 18 June 2007 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madhu_bala

Hai,
When i tried the same query in report builder, by creating a table with some special characters, it was working.
may be there may b some other issue. if u can just send the same for verification, so that we can try
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245871 is a reply to message #245205] Tue, 19 June 2007 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garyt
Well this has been resolved. What was happening was that we have a database on the server and a copy of that database on my pc.
When running the query in SQLDeveloper I was connecting to my local database (which had those characters) but when running the report it was connecting to the server (which does not have any of those characters, they were all removed from the names a while back unknown to me. So on my pc a name like abc/def was abcdef on the server, so it was actually displaying the report correct as there is not any of those characters in the names on the server).
I changed the tnsnames.ora file to point to my local database and what do you know, it worked. Embarassed
Thanks Littlefoot and others for your time
Re: Report not displaying certain characters [message #245874 is a reply to message #245871] Tue, 19 June 2007 02:39 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Until recently, everyone thought that inhabitants of Mars were invisible. Now we know for sure that there are NO inhabitants on Mars.

OK, we were chasing ghosts here. It happens now and then.
Previous Topic: Problem in the format of output in Excel (merged)
Next Topic: REP-300 Table or view does not exist
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 08:21:54 CDT 2024