Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Discverer Report Selecting 85M records
Discverer Report Selecting 85M records [message #247553] Tue, 26 June 2007 06:31 Go to next message
rons
Hi,

I have a discoverer report, which will selecting aroung 85 Million Records. While Running this report in Desktop, it takes arounnd 3 hours and still not populating any data. The CPU usage in the client goes to 100% and desktop becomes very slow.

But, whenever I run the same query used in the Report in SQLPLUS/Toad, it gives the result within 10 Minutes.

Can anybody give me a solution to overcome this problem.

Regards,
Ronald.
Re: Discverer Report Selecting 85M records [message #247971 is a reply to message #247553] Wed, 27 June 2007 12:11 Go to previous message
skooman
Not sure, but I see two possible causes:
(a) the memory of the application server Discoverer resides in is insufficient
(b) there is some additional formatting in Discoverer (like grouping, sums, font, etc), which with this amounts of data can cause a major effect on performance.

Just curious: what is the functional requirement met by reporting 85 million records??

PS in SQL*Plus and Toad: are you 100% sure you retrieved all rows? 85 million in 10 minutes sounds like a pretty amazing performance, since even just scrolling the results on your screen might take more time than that. I suspect you just got first_n_rows... And since Discoverer can be ordered to take first rows too (see options) and, based on your post, didn't do so, I suspect that there are totals or groups in your report that prevent that.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 June 2007 12:14]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: how to adjust the report size to 120 characters
Next Topic: Using page number property in formula
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 06:43:57 CDT 2024