Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Control the space between the Records
Control the space between the Records [message #262766] Tue, 28 August 2007 04:33 Go to next message
muthaharora
Dear All,

In my report output there are many records which has about 15 fields.My issue is, The space between the records is not in a sequential manner.

Example: If 5 records are there and let <space> indicate the space between each records row wise then my output is like this:

RECORD 1
RECORD 2
<space>
<space>
<space>
RECORD 3
<space>
RECORD 4
<space>
<space>
RECORD 5

Could any one please tell how to control this.

Thanks and Regards
Muthahar
Re: Control the space between the Records [message #262825 is a reply to message #262766] Tue, 28 August 2007 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I think I understood what you have at the moment. But I have no idea what would you like to have. How would you like to "control" it? No space at all? If so, try to set "Vertical Elasticity" property to "Variable" (or "Contract").
Re: Control the space between the Records [message #262843 is a reply to message #262825] Tue, 28 August 2007 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muthaharora
My issue was that i am getting single space between some records, no space and more than 3 space between the records displayed in a page.

Thank you for your reply, but when i changed that property only two records are displayed per page.

What i needed is to have only a single space between each of the records, and also to display only 15 records per page. Could you please guide me more.

Thanks
Muthahar
Re: Control the space between the Records [message #262882 is a reply to message #262843] Tue, 28 August 2007 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Can you execute the same query in SQL*Plus (or SQL Developer or TOAD or ...)? How does output look like there? Are those <spaces> still present?

Can you identify what is a <space>? Is it, perhaps, a record with NULL values in all columns you display? This is what I have in mind:
SQL> CREATE TABLE test (id NUMBER, name VARCHAR2(20));

Table created.

SQL> INSERT ALL
  2    INTO test VALUES (1, 'little')
  3    INTO test VALUES (2, NULL)
  4    INTO test VALUES (3, 'foot')
  5    INTO test VALUES (4, NULL)
  6    INTO test VALUES (5, NULL)
  7    INTO test VALUES (6, 'test')
  8  SELECT * FROM dual;

6 rows created.

SQL> SET NULL '<space>'
SQL> SELECT name FROM test;

NAME
--------------------
little
<space>
foot
<space>
<space>
test

6 rows selected.

SQL>
If that's the case, kick out those records completely! Include another condition into the WHERE clause to eliminate those records; or, possibly, write a FORMAT TRIGGER which would check existence of every field and return FALSE if all of them are NULL (doing so, record will not be displayed).
Re: Control the space between the Records [message #262887 is a reply to message #262882] Tue, 28 August 2007 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muthaharora
I am very very sorry for not making my question clear, my question is only respect to the output of reports.The report is generated and in the output i am getting the records, i want that there be a single line spacing between the records displayed in the output after running a report.

I got inoformation that i have to change the property of repeating frames, but i am not clear.

please let me know regarding this.

Thanks
Muthahar

Re: Control the space between the Records [message #262890 is a reply to message #262887] Tue, 28 August 2007 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I did, in my first post here - change its vertical elasticity property. As I've understood, you said that in that case only 2 records were displayed on the page. So, is that so or what?
Re: Control the space between the Records [message #262918 is a reply to message #262890] Tue, 28 August 2007 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muthaharora
As per the requirement 15 records should be displayed per page and with single line spacing between the records, So when only two records are displayed it runs to many pages.

I need guidance on that
Thanks
Muthahar
Re: Control the space between the Records [message #262943 is a reply to message #262918] Tue, 28 August 2007 10:06 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've already told you what I think about it. Obviously, it was wrong. To give you another opinion, please, provide CREATE TABLE and INSERT INTO sample data statements, and attach RDF of your report so that someone might look at it.
Previous Topic: Paper size 17 x 12
Next Topic: problem with multi panel report. please help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 06:50:26 CDT 2024