Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Using e-business suite and discoverer - custom folder or new view?
icon3.gif  Using e-business suite and discoverer - custom folder or new view? [message #264723] Tue, 04 September 2007 06:03 Go to next message
fahrenheit
just after some real life advice here peeps!

Although you are supplied a default eul with business suite for use with discoverer, what are people doing when new business area is required.

1.) create a new business view on the database then have discoverer find and create from there.

2.) create a custom folder within discoverer using sql code, or reference the views that already exist?

Also why is it if i look under apps when trying to create a new folder from the data dictionary do no tables/ views show, even if i have changed option to allow viewing of public and private tables?

is anyone out there using Disco with 11i business suite if so what have you done up till now?
Re: Using e-business suite and discoverer - custom folder or new view? [message #265054 is a reply to message #264723] Wed, 05 September 2007 05:55 Go to previous message
skooman
Hi,

I've done some projects for customers, using Discoverer on EBS. I prefer to create custom views in de database and create a new folder from database in Discoverer (so, option 1 in your post).

Disadvantage of option 2 is in my opinion (but I would like to read what other people think!):
- custom folders easily get overlooked when something changes, for example by a patch or release upgrade and they are invalid while no one notices it. Furthermore, that SQL can't be used in other places while a view can be used in various places in the EUL should the need arise.
- create folder from database and using the existing (standard EBS) views could imply some performance issues since these views are tuned for transactional purposes, not reporting (bulk) purposes.

As for not seeing tables/views under apps: that is not standard, I would say some privileges or a responsibility is missing. Please check if you have followed all steps described in the appendix of the disco admin guide on using Discoverer on EBS (also, there are some detailed documents on Metalink about it).

Regards,
Sabine
Previous Topic: Page Problem
Next Topic: Formatting in reports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Jul 05 06:17:11 CDT 2024