Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner
Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner [message #275610] Mon, 22 October 2007 01:25 Go to next message
mestoganesh
Hello Experts,
I am using oracle 10g database.I want to know in general, limitations of oracle reports over discoverer and Data miner and vise versa.,Why we need these 3 things separately?.Why we cant do it as same tool?Please let me know ur valuable points.
Re: Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner [message #275925 is a reply to message #275610] Tue, 23 October 2007 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Reports is designed to be used by developers, to create standard, major and complex reports. Discoverer is meant to enable end-users to create ad-hoc reports.

Data Miner is a completely different product which (from what I understand) detects patterns in data. Has nothing to do with reporting, except that it's under "datawarehousing & business intelligence" in the OTL documentation index, along with the reporting tools...

See:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/reports.html
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/bi.html
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/datamining.html
Re: Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner [message #276169 is a reply to message #275925] Wed, 24 October 2007 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mestoganesh
Thanks for ur reply Mr Skooman, please let me know one simple example..
Re: Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner [message #276183 is a reply to message #276169] Wed, 24 October 2007 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I always thought Sabine was a lady ...
Re: Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner [message #276269 is a reply to message #276183] Wed, 24 October 2007 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
It's ms Kooman indeed, not mr.

As for the simple example, what do you mean? Did you follow the links I gave?
Re: Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner [message #276364 is a reply to message #276269] Thu, 25 October 2007 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mestoganesh
Sorry Ms Skooman, I thought u r S.Kooman.,Beacause we use initial in front of the name.I didnt see ur first name..

Before i see those doc., i want some clarification,I am doing one project for samll logistics company, They need customer vise, monthly expences etc reports as well as end user ad-hoc reports. can i develope this type of reports in Discover alone or need oralce reports..
Re: Oracle Reports Vs Discoverer Vs Data Miner [message #276603 is a reply to message #276364] Thu, 25 October 2007 10:40 Go to previous message
skooman
It depends on what the customer needs exactly.

Indeed, for ad-hoc reporting a tool like Discoverer (or the latest Oracle tool: OBI EE, see OTN) is the way to go.

I don't know what customer vise is/are, but basically, if you want to list expenses etc, Discoverer can do that for you. If they need very specific formatting, ordering, grouping etc or results of PL/SQL code or tracking when a report is run or printed, etc, it might be better to be looking at Reports or BI Publisher.

(I'm not really into Reports, so perhaps someone else can help me here if you know better examples of what Reports can do?)
Previous Topic: ORARRP.EXE and Windows Vista
Next Topic: no list of values in side suctomery folder
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 23:45:43 CDT 2024