Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » miss (windows 2000)
miss [message #276257] Wed, 24 October 2007 09:33 Go to next message
rebeccah@falcorp.co.za

hi all

i'm new to the site and to oracle reporting using discover, i yread somewhere here that i can generate report by writing my own sql

where do i get an option like that
I always drag and drop fields/columns and rows
please help with the steps of whee to click so that i can type as ive noticed my relationship between the tables are not that clear/good

from rebeccah
junior oracle developer
Re: miss [message #276273 is a reply to message #276257] Wed, 24 October 2007 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Rebeccah,

That option can be used by creating a new "custom folder", while choosing that, you get a blank screen where you can start typing SQL.
However, that will not resolve any issues you have with joins between tables, since that will only create one single folder. Afterwards, you can create joins to that folder, in the same way you always do that.

What's wrong with the relationships you've created?

Regards,
Sabine
Re: [message #276385 is a reply to message #276273] Thu, 25 October 2007 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rebeccah@falcorp.co.za

thanks for replying so quick, i've tried it and it worked!

i have a huge database eg Dome and i has two schemas Sales and Master
inside master there are 21 table and in sales there are 23 table
i need to join one table from sales with two table in master
again my mentor told me that i should select fields from facts table ,how do i tell that this is a facts of dimensional table

if the quiry requires me to select from facts table how do I join facts with dimensional table(s)
how do i now if the joins should be outer join /inner join /one on one (master to detail)

my queris are taking about 7minutes to populate data is tha nornal
that this depends on the amount of data I have in my database
or the relationship ?
is there a way i can make these queries run faster?

from rebeccah

Re: [message #276618 is a reply to message #276385] Thu, 25 October 2007 11:14 Go to previous message
skooman
As for the relationships: basically, you'll have to know the design of the datamodel. The developers/designers of the model should have documented it, if not they're lousy developers Wink
So, ask for the documentation.

However, since you're mentioning facts and dimensions, I assume it's a star schema. Usually, these schemas are pretty straight forward. Look for anything you consider to be a potential dimension (like customers, products, time, etc.). A small number of tables remaining, with a lot of id columns and some numeric data will most probably be the facts.
(wow, I just invented the most down to earth description of modelling a star schema I've come accross in a long time... Laughing )

As for the performance: there is no way on earth anyone can tell you how to speed things up with this little information. Oh no, there is: add more hardware. Apart from that, you'll have to get into the model, the statistics, the explain plans, etc. If you have an actual query that's not fast enough for the purpose, let us know, we will try to help you.
Previous Topic: no list of values in side suctomery folder
Next Topic: email reports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 00:15:49 CDT 2024