Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » performance related issue in discoverer report
performance related issue in discoverer report [message #276942] Sat, 27 October 2007 03:58 Go to next message
abhishekpaliwal24

Embarassed
hi
i m facing a problem in discoverer report.i m writing a view.in this i have one group function sum.when i remove this and remove group by clause report takes 2sec to run.but when i include group function and group by clause it takes 2 to 3 hours.
the output coming from this report is correct.
the only problem is time taken by the report.

or when i pass the specific parameter in the report it is good.
and the lov take too much time to fetch the data when i run it first time and then subsequent retrieval are fast.
  • Attachment: problem.txt
    (Size: 2.89KB, Downloaded 1535 times)
Re: performance related issue in discoverer report [message #276953 is a reply to message #276942] Sat, 27 October 2007 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
Are you sure that the problem is in Discoverer? What is the time needed if you run the query using SQL*Plus?
Re: performance related issue in discoverer report [message #277122 is a reply to message #276953] Mon, 29 October 2007 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abhishekpaliwal24

yes i am writing the view for a discoverer report ,it is taking 2.5 hours when i m running in sql editor.but when i give some specific parameter in discoverer report it run fine.
i also defined some lov . these lov are also taking lot's of time to fetch the data,when i run them first time after that they give me output acccurately.

Re: performance related issue in discoverer report [message #277758 is a reply to message #277122] Wed, 31 October 2007 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
abhishekpaliwal24 wrote on Mon, 29 October 2007 01:04

it is taking 2.5 hours when i m running in sql editor

Well, how do you expect Discoverer to do this any faster then? You're just lucky that it's faster if you use parameter values. Perhaps it's just a whole lot of data to select without any where clauses?

If the problem is that you need all the data (so, you don't want to use parameter values), and you feel it whould give the result faster then in 2,5 hours, then please post the SQL statement and explain plan here, we'll have a look at it (or forward it to the performance forum). Also please describe your data and the expected resultset (how many rows).

As for the LOV: same thing, if it's a lot of data, it will take some time to give the values. However, with LOV's there is something you have to check. Sometimes, you see in an EUL that the LOV is based directly on the "main" source table. So, let's say I have some table containing millions of rows, and in that table there is a column that only contains 10 different values. If, in Administrator, I select that column and choose create item class (and LOV), than everytime I use that LOV, the database has to go through those millions of rows only to find 10 different values. That's ridiculous of course. So, you'll have to find a clever way to create a "lookup table" (or something from dual) to only store or generate these 10 values and create the LOV on that one.

Regards,
Sabine

[Updated on: Wed, 31 October 2007 07:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: performance related issue in discoverer report [message #277866 is a reply to message #277758] Wed, 31 October 2007 23:59 Go to previous message
abhishekpaliwal24

thank very much for your suggetins .

Previous Topic: Reports Server Error: Procedure entry point psoasyn...
Next Topic: visualisation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 01:58:00 CDT 2024