Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » new field (10g release 2)
new field [message #287216] Tue, 11 December 2007 07:57 Go to next message
aarti81
Hi
I have a report which have fields A,B,C,D,,E,F,G.Now i have to generate a report with a requirement where in i have to combine the fields A,B and C and give it a new name and genreate the report.Please i need this help very soon.

Thanks
Re: new field [message #287267 is a reply to message #287216] Tue, 11 December 2007 14:42 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It sounds like a simple task, only if you could tell what "combining" several fields means. If A, B and C are character fields, I assume you'd like to concatenate them. If these are numeric fields, you might do many things (add them, subtract, multiply - just to name several "ordinary" operations).

Basically, you have two options: the first one is to "combine" those values in a query. For example:
-- YOUR CURRENT QUERY:

SELECT a, b, c, d, e
FROM some_table

-- YOUR NEW QUERY, USING CONCATENATION:

SELECT a, b, c, d, e, 
       a || b || c  new_column
FROM some_table

Another option is to create a formula column. Make sure to choose the correct return value datatype as well as its size. Formula column code might look like this:
FUNCTION fun_combine RETURN CHAR IS
  retval VARCHAR2(30);
BEGIN
  retval := a || b || c;

RETURN (retval);
END;

I hope you'll be able to continue your work with these suggestions. If not, try to explain a problem little bit more, perhaps even providing a simple example.
Previous Topic: security
Next Topic: 0 insead of null in report output
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 01:28:44 CDT 2024