Home » Server Options » RAC & Failsafe » Patching RAC
Patching RAC [message #288051] Fri, 14 December 2007 08:50 Go to next message
mfreeze
Hi:
I have a RAC consisting of 2 nodes and for 2 years I have been patching this system with no problem. Typically I shut down both instances, patch the software on one instance, patch the software on the second instance, bring the database instances back up and patch the database from the first instance. This has always worked. But one thing always bothered us, when doing a lsinventory it always showed the instances as 'SINGLE NODE RAC'. Recently I corrected this so that it now both nodes see themselves as part of the cluster. Now for my problem. Last night was the first time I tried to patch this RAC since resolving the previous issue. Now when I tried to patch the software on the first node it wanted to push the patch to the other node as well. This required me to restart the OracleClusterVolumeService, OracleOBJService and the OracleCMService. However, even though I started these services it could not propagate files to the other node and suggested manually copying the files over to the machine. My question is this. Is there a parameter setting I can change that will allow me to patch the software on each node separately and then change back before patching the database. And if so will it cause it to go back to reporting that it is a 'Single RAC Node'? Your help in this matter is appreciated.
Re: Patching RAC [message #288065 is a reply to message #288051] Fri, 14 December 2007 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
Typically, when you install the patch on the first node, it will list all the nodes in the cluster and have you confirm the list of nodes in the cluster for the patch to install itself on. Most, if not all, of the patchsets and one-off patches that I've install have operated in this manner (at least on Solaris, I don't have a Win2k3 RAC to confirm).

The important thing is, you must run Oracle Universal Installer from the same node from which you performed the initial installation.

For Windows, it appears that the following services need to remain started:
* Oracle Object Service
* OracleClusterVolumeService
* OracleCMService9i
Re: Patching RAC [message #288091 is a reply to message #288065] Fri, 14 December 2007 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mfreeze
Hi:
I appreciate your time however my question wasn't addressed. I already know everything you stated as most of it is already in my posting. What I am having problems with is that the patch wants to propagate files to the other node but it cannot and therefore the files would need to be manually propagated over to node 2. This is the first time that our RAC has tried to do this. And I know that a proper RAC should push the patch to all the other nodes so you only need to patch one place but since it doesn't work properly is there a way to patch each Oracle home maually without Oracle trying to do it for me? Sort of trick it into thinking that it only has one node at a time. Thanks for your input and time.
Re: Patching RAC [message #288124 is a reply to message #288091] Fri, 14 December 2007 23:50 Go to previous message
ebrian
mfreeze wrote on Fri, 14 December 2007 15:51

And I know that a proper RAC should push the patch to all the other nodes so you only need to patch one place...

This wasn't clearly evident in your first post, since you mentioned that you typically apply the patch on one node and then apply it on the second node. If you say that lsinventory displays 'SINGLE NODE RAC', then what does OUI show?

What did you to correct the 'SINGLE NODE RAC' problem?

[Updated on: Fri, 14 December 2007 23:51]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: Can I use Clusterware without RAC?
Next Topic: OCSF2 or GPFS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:35:57 CDT 2024