Home » Developer & Programmer » Reports & Discoverer » Discoverer against readonly database (Oracl 10gR2.02, Discoverer 4.1.48.08.00)
Discoverer against readonly database [message #288696] Tue, 18 December 2007 06:19 Go to next message
funky
We are planning to use standby database for data mining. Plan is to open standby database in readonly mode, and next day continue recover db with new archive logs and reopen in read only and so on.

Our users are keeping their reports in database, so it looks that it cannot be changed on "standby" database.

Any hints how to put that alive under mentioned conditions...

THX
Re: Discoverer against readonly database [message #288705 is a reply to message #288696] Tue, 18 December 2007 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I've never done anything like that, but - it sounds quite "complicated". Why would you want to do it that way? Would it be possible to use materialized views instead (refresh them during non-working hours (every night, for example))?
Re: Discoverer against readonly database [message #288729 is a reply to message #288705] Tue, 18 December 2007 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skooman
I assume you are not yet on 11g, but is might be worth looking at that. I saw a presentation stating that one of the new functionality is to use a standby/mirroring database for reporting purposes.
On 10g it must be possible I assume, but it would be best to investigate this with the help of an experienced DBA or so I guess. This has little to do with reporting and more with the use of replicated databases etc.
Re: Discoverer against readonly database [message #288752 is a reply to message #288696] Tue, 18 December 2007 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funky
THX for all your contribution.

standby database like this is something that I havce done for reporting (sql or Toad interface) but never for discoverer.

We are on 10gR2 (as written on the top of the thread .... so 11g is not an option for a standby version.

Materilazed view still read data from disks where other datafiles are...and spent a lot of buffer for nothing.

Re: Discoverer against readonly database [message #288987 is a reply to message #288752] Wed, 19 December 2007 03:44 Go to previous message
skooman
The reason that standby will work for SQL*Plus, Toad etc, and not for Discoverer, is that Discoverer stores metadata in the database itself. So, a readonly database will not be sufficient.

As for the materialized views: I guess LF was referring to creating MV's in the actual online database and refresh them overnight to minimize the impact on the transactional capacity. Since the basic idea of having Discoverer run on a standby (readonly) database will not work, he was getting into "the creative modus". Like stated, please discuss this with you DBA an bear in mind that Discoverer needs write access to the source database...
Previous Topic: Oracle report
Next Topic: discoverer doc
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 03 01:31:55 CDT 2024