Home » Other » Marketplace » JOB DILEMNA - Oracle PL/SQL programmer or Java Developer
JOB DILEMNA - Oracle PL/SQL programmer or Java Developer [message #297553] Fri, 01 February 2008 06:04
oraclewannabe
Hi everybody, i am not sure whether this is the right place to post this question but nevertheless, i sincerely wish every gurus and experience person to guide me out in my dilemna.

I am fresh from the school and i aspired to be an Oracle DBA in my future. I majored in knowledge management during my academic years and less on to programming like J2EE. i have score well for all my oracle and pl/sql subjects.

Recently, i started job hunting and i realise the industry is in need of alot of java and .net developers. what most important is, they are willing to take in fresh graduates unlike the likes of ORACLE dba roles which i could really find one that is willing to try me out.

Now i have 2 job offers, 1 is a oracle pl/sql programmer and another 1 is a java developer. now i would really like some good and honest answer of what would be of absoluate good to me for my career path as a developer dba in future ?

1st) being a java developer - i gain exposure into advance java , solaris unix system and many more. i have the exposure to more technologies and platform
my job role here doest not allow me to interact with oracle as they are using a mysql server.

2nd) being a pl/sql programmer, allow me to focus more into oracle. something like a speciality which maybe i can move on to be a oracle dba in future

3rd) picking up java and other platform skills allows me to be more job savvy, i can be more versatile in terms of future job search

4th) being a pl/sql programmer, allows me again to be more focus on a single thread in mind, oracle. and oracle dba but not forgetting that being a java developer doest not limit my ability to be a dba too infture, and likewise for pl/sql, it does not forbid me to pick up any new languages.

so at the end of the day, for a rookie like me, where you guys have already walk the path of good and bad, would you pls spare me abit of advise, so that i might skip pitfalls i might go through in the future of the DBA carreer path..

Thanks alot in advance.
Previous Topic: ORACLE TRAINING @ Q-Soft
Next Topic: *** Schema Version Control for Oracle (SVCO) *** Special Discount! *** Limited Time Offer! ***
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 10:05:15 CDT 2024